1. Welcome to the new TrackMill forums! We know things are new around here and may be confusing, so we updated the FAQ. If you have any further questions about the new site please post a thread in the Ask Trackmill section!
    Dismiss Notice

Violent Video Games

Discussion in 'Serious Business' started by TrapperJohn, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Freedo

Freedo Administrator Administrator Staff Member Admin

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    Just want to remind you guys this is this serious business section, try to stay serious.

2. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn Que Sera, Sera Engineer

Only recently have I started to waver on my stance on this subject. First I was pretty strongly with saying that no, violent video games only affect people who cannot differ reality from fantasy.

But with the release of the PS4, XBone version of GTA 5, I watched people play in first person and this actually genuinely disturbed me. I saw a guy robbing a convenience store, then shooting the clerk in the face, all in first person. The graphics are insane good, and it was really disturbing. Watching Achievement Hunter do their first person Let's Play was crazy too, and even the guys on that show admitted that it was twisted.

I still realize that it takes a sane person to know the difference in reality vs fantasy. But in developing minds, could this be desensitizing them, and maybe making them slightly more prone to outbursts? If you've played GTA in first person or just seen the videos on youtube, surely you know what I mean.

3. Freedo

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    I dunno, I see what you're saying, but I feel like the difference between third and first person in that regard is kinda negligible. You're still doing the same stuff, just from a different perspective. There are plenty of games such as Payday that already feature heists and senseless murder, from first person, but you don't really hear the same stuff (or at least I don't, maybe you have). Either way, I don't feel like I'm becoming more violent from playing payday, I know it's just a game.

4. usermame 62

usermame 62 My Body is Ready! Assembly Line Worker

I actually have; it is in the middle of getting fixed.

5. Freedo

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    Ok, I just recently saw a trailer for a game that is an exception to my current view. This game goes beyond anything I've ever considered to be a violent game. DO NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER if you can't handle strong or violent images!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg
    I think this is just utterly ridiculous. If you want to get the gist of the game without watching the trailer, here it is: You are a guy who has an utter hatred for humanity, and as a final suicide mission you go out into the public, trying to commit as much senseless genocide on innocent people as you possibly can. With many kills you get close up shots of people pleading for their lives while you blow their heads off with a shotgun. It's like nothing I've seen before, and I can't imagine what kind of person would develop a game like this. Sure, some people enjoy games like this. Maybe you guys do, but I feel like this has crossed a line of sorts.

6. rotfl

rotfl Your own guardian angel... With a fully loaded 44. Piston

My God. Destiny probably has better character development and a better storyline than this game.

I aswell can't understand what kind of game developper would decide that making this game is a good idea. This game is probably going to be one of those games I look at and facepalm intensly to. There is literally now objective to the game other than being a terrible person who murders innocent people. Who can enjoy this kind of game?

Edit: Lol, read the comment section. Some people actually are considering buying this game, while others are saying it's ridiculous.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  7. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    Back at the start of the year, I honestly had a similar kind of feeling. "I just fucking hate this world and the human worms feasting on its carcass". I mean seriously. Life might suck, but who would murder anyone just because they hated their own life?

Similar to your opinion, I think violent games are OK up to a certain point for certain ages. It's not like I play Learn The Alphabet in 1 Week 24/7 but I'm not a hardcore Silent Hill player either. I play mainly age appropriate games like Terraria and stuff, and it doesn't motivate me to insert bullets into the frontal lobes of priests

8. usermame 62

usermame 62 My Body is Ready! Assembly Line Worker

The story is rather gruesome and selfish. I mean, you want to kill people and yourself just because you, yourself, are angry at the world?! That's really extreme, sure I think about people dying, but I'm not going to go out, get a gun, start shooting collections of organisms and then kill myself, that's just insane! And trust me, I'm not insane, I just save my empathy for those who I think deserve it. But aside from the points mentioned: the gameplay looks interesting, and hopefully it comes out for a gaming console, i.e PS4.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014