1. Welcome to the new TrackMill forums! We know things are new around here and may be confusing, so we updated the FAQ. If you have any further questions about the new site please post a thread in the Ask Trackmill section!
    Dismiss Notice

Violent Video Games

Discussion in 'Serious Business' started by TrapperJohn, Sep 26, 2013.

1. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn Que Sera, Sera Engineer

Okay, this topic was stirred up in the Grand Theft Auto 5 thread, and I agree with <Spi> and that this deserves its own thread as to not clutter up the GTAV thread. So, here we are.

Personally, I strongly disagree with the notion that violent videogames cause crazy behavior in kids. I've spent countless hours on several Grand Theft Auto games, Call of Duty, Mafia II, and would not repeat any of the actions I've taken in any of those games. It's a matter of having the conscience of separating reality with what you do in the games. But I want to hear the other side of the story.

2. Çedar

Çedar Coffee Piston

I really don't think these types of video games can cause violent behavior in kids, its the mental health of the person.

3. trexmasterrace

trexmasterrace Assembly Line Worker

see what happens when you let tards play bad games

4. Eli bloodthirst

Eli bloodthirst August MOTM 2013 Engineer

The government blame someones problems on video games, they've done the same with films and music.
    It's the people who are vulnerable that end up killing right?

In America, generally it's not the fact that video games are violent, it's not that guns can be bought by most. It's the fact that america doesn't help the mentally disabled as much as other countries.

5. <spi>

<spi> go home roger TrackMill Pro TrackMill Pro

We 'help' as much as we can, but it's up to the people if they want the help. Most cases people that go on shooting sprees and such would have done it if they have ever played a game or not. Of course the gov wants to blame the violent action of it's people on something other then that's just how they are being raised.

Other then violence in games, I think the sexual is the most concerning thing. When I mention that I've been playing GTA and the first question that someone asks is "so have you been to the strip club or picked up a hooker yet?" it bothers me a bit. It may not be harmful but that's all (immature) people want to do in GTA and it gives it a bad name imo.

6. Zags

Zags (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Administrator Staff Member Admin

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    I believe that the games do not make people violent. Things happen in kid's lives that make them violent and they use tactics used in video games against their victims. Game's don't make people violent people make people violent.

7. Forlorn333

Forlorn333 d3cornlorn999 TrackMill Pro TrackMill Pro

This is exactly it. The thing is, while I believe video games don't on their own cause violent behavior, I think it contributes to it for *some* people. You'll always get the crazies that simply are not able to distinguish virtual reality from true reality. You can do anything you like in video games without consequence, correct? Some people are simply not mentally stable enough to make the connection that the same principles cannot be attributed to real life, and therefore the video games get blamed in the media as the main cause, when really the person was just screwed in the head to begin with.

8. chocodude

chocodude Mechanic

It depends. It could change some people but not all. If its kids being effected then thats their parents fault for letting them have it
    its 18+ meaning ur meant to be 18 to play it
    M rated in america
    If u have a mind ˚˚˚˚ed son why would you give him a game which on the back says strong bloody violence, bad language, nudity etc?

9. Recordbreak

Recordbreak Retired Staff Retired Staff

We've dug ourselves deep enough that we can't get out. Video games that are rated teen, mature and so on have been readily available to kids for a long time now, since parents give in to letting kids play or someone buys the game for them. If this could be enforced somehow, I think the whole situation would go better (obviously). As of now, we have all these kids playing violent video games. I haven't seen too big an impact on their actions outside of the games, majority of the dangerous attacks are done by adults. I think we're at this stage where it's about time before something tragic happens due to one of these kids playing these games. As Trapper said, it's all about having a sense of reality and a sense of what's in the game. These lines are easily broken from disabilities, mental unstableness, etc. It's just a matter of time before we have even bigger a problem on our hands, so it's best something are to be done sooner rather than later.

10. <spi>

<spi> go home roger TrackMill Pro TrackMill Pro

When it comes to media though, it's almost always later rather then sooner. I don't think we're quite as bad off as you make it sound, but I think it might get to that at some point.

11. usermame 62

usermame 62 My Body is Ready! Assembly Line Worker

I don't understand why people are saying that violent video games cause violent behavior in kids. Maybe people are trying to damage the gaming industry or are trying to make people bow down to Nintendo.

12. eekman111

eekman111 plz unban iamninja Assembly Line Worker

Uhh, :pfft: no

13. mr.bigfish56

mr.bigfish56 A furry(for reelz send me ur best yiff plz) Cogwheel

Favorite Game:
    EtchBox
    The only violent behavior sparked within me while playing these games is the feeling to beat the crap out of my controller because that little 7 year old camper won't stop blaring Justin Bieber through his mic and saying that he took my mom out on a date.

No but I do understand that this is a serious issue.

14. rotfl

rotfl Your own guardian angel... With a fully loaded 44. Piston

I've actually never thrown/damage my controller while playing games.

15. mr.bigfish56

mr.bigfish56 A furry(for reelz send me ur best yiff plz) Cogwheel

Favorite Game:
    EtchBox
    Neither have I. They're too expensive to break anyway.

16. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    I broke mine once but not ofr violence reasons

17. Toxic Fuel

Toxic Fuel Mechanic

I've seen this exact topic in another forum before, but I personally think that the only reason these stupid kids/teens go out and shoot someone is because of the parents, not the video games. The media just wants you to think that they are harmful, which in some cases they can be, but I feel that if playing a game such as GTA doesn't affect your actions or way of thinking in the real world, it doesn't matter. I have a friend who players tons of rated M games, but he's awesome to hang around and he's not a violent person, he's just normal and likes games.

18. rotfl

This is true. It's only when people can see the difference between the game and real life.

And I aswell play my decent share of Call Of Duty, Fallout, Skyrim, and a few other M rated games, and I wouldn't consider myself an angry person.

19. usermame 62

usermame 62 My Body is Ready! Assembly Line Worker

Nintendo is the best!

20. rotfl

Reconsider what you're saying here...