1. Welcome to the new TrackMill forums! We know things are new around here and may be confusing, so we updated the FAQ. If you have any further questions about the new site please post a thread in the Ask Trackmill section!
    Dismiss Notice

Under Age Drinking?

Discussion in 'Serious Business' started by Bj007pro, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Bj007pro

Bj007pro Bolt

Ok...Soo.... a lot of kid are allowed to Drink under the illegal age, and it really is pissing me off see Kids, on the News, getting beaten up, run over, suicide, Murder someone, Prisonment, getting Lost, Doing Criminal acts, Driving/Crashing, Stealing, Rapeing, Having Sex, Etc, Etc.
    So whats Your Thoughts?

2. newgon123

newgon123 TrackMill Staff Moderator Staff Member Mod

Underage drinking happens everywhere and is insanely popular. I think its at the point now where you can't really do much to change a majority of the population from underage drinking, just people you know. Obviously you can advocate the problem, but with varying success. I personally don't drink but many people in my high school do.

3. Recordbreak

Recordbreak Retired Staff Retired Staff

It's pretty lame. Teenagers are built to test the limits of their actions and push the standards farther and farther, and drinking is completely expected, given you need to be a certain age to consume it. Sounds strange to say but this is similar to proms and dances held at schools, where students dress up fancy and dance around and act as if they were adults. However, adults don't abuse alcohol as often and don't get dressed up in high class dresses and suits with their friends. It's just an evolved into what teenagers think adults act like into a common trait. It really is a shame that these things happen, especially in an age group when you're prone to making faulty decisions.

4. usermame 62

usermame 62 My Body is Ready! Assembly Line Worker

Well, we all know teenagers, they're irresponsible and stupid most of the time. I mean: who cares about social acceptance am I right?

5. c3b4me

c3b4me Remember when this place was once was something? Piston

I have nothing against under age drinking, as long as its in private with an adult. I have personally done this and almost all my friends have done this because it is legal in NZ.

6. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    ~500000 members took offence

7. c3b4me

c3b4me Remember when this place was once was something? Piston

- several billion teenagers took offense

8. usermame 62

usermame 62 My Body is Ready! Assembly Line Worker

There aren't even 1 billion people on this website.

"500000 members took offence."

@Muzik Bike :D I am going to assume that you were offended by my statement.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  9. Freedo

Freedo Administrator Administrator Staff Member Admin

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    Username, you have a serious issue with staying on topic on every single thread I've seen you in. I don't mind a little side conversation, but it's getting a little bit ridiculous. Plus, once again, this is the serious business section...

Anyway, underage drinking and illegal smoking is one reason I don't like accepting requests to hang out with some people that want me to hang out with them. Every time pretty much anyone asks me if I want to go with them on the weekend I can almost guarantee that weed or alcohol is involved and I'm not too thrilled to be a part of it. I respect that they want to do it and I really don't have any issue with it as long as no one gets hurt and they're responsible enough, but It's just not for me.

10. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn Que Sera, Sera Engineer

I've gotten together with my friends a good amount of times where we drink, smoke and dip. I understand why it's illegal because I've been to a couple parties and heard of a few where things could have gone bad really quickly. That being said, I could not choose better people to drink with. They're 100% responsible with it and we know the consequences. The statement that all teenagers are immature f_ck ups when drunk is not true. I do agree that the law should stay in place though, although the reality is that there's not much you can do to 100% enforce it.

11. Download

Download TrackMill Developer TrackMill Developer Developer

The good thing about alcohol is if you drink to much, you always learn your lesson in the morning.

12. Scipion

Scipion bezt trukmall membr Engineer

Exactly.
    With that being said, law treats everybody as equal, but reality is that we're all different. Somebody can be more responsible at 16 when it comes to alcohol abuse than somebody who's older and allowed to drink.

13. jake to cake

jake to cake TrackMill Pro TrackMill Pro TrackMill Pro

IMO I'm fine with underage drinking as long as your responsible. Really and truly the only thing I worry about when I get drunk is if my parents are awake when I get home/or if they could tell. I drunk a lot during the summer, and you just gotta know your limits. Most of the underage drinkers are partiers so they usually know how much they can tolerate. There's only been a couple times where I felt unsafe to drive home, so I just chill and wait until I'm not as drunk. I also never worry about doing really stupid ˚˚˚˚, we all do stupid ˚˚˚˚ when we're drunk but if you're drinking with your friends or people who your comfortable with, they won't let you do something that will hurt you. Drinking is really all about responsibility, that's why the laws are in effect because the government doesn't think kids/teenagers are responsible enough to handle it.

Also I've never had a hangover, probably because when I wake up I feel great from the bud I smoked the night before.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  14. Forlorn333

Forlorn333 d3cornlorn999 TrackMill Pro TrackMill Pro

Drinking is only a problem when irresponsible/stupid people do it, and unfortunately there are way too many of those.

I feel sorry for the families of victims of drunk drivers and other people who abuse alcohol. And it's silly to assume people are immune to poor life choices once they hit a certain age. Those that do it as teens are more likely to as adults though.

Drink responsively :)

15. flippy01

flippy01 Cogwheel

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    When talking about underage drinking, do you mean in a manner of occasionally binging, or regularly binging, or drinking in moderation with an adult?

With an adult is fine, in my opinion, provided they are clear about how they want to moderate the persons drinking - in the case of my family they have always said I can drink as much or as little as I want when I'm with them because then I know my limits and preference, it stops me binging and has pretty much put me off social drinking since I usually end up an emotional wreck.

But binge drinking is just idiotic (pardon my simple wording) as an adult or minor. As an adult, you're proving your irresponsibility and as a minor you're not only putting yourself at a severe health risk but also showing up your parents/carers as uncaring or other things of the like - and that's just completely disrespectful.

As for it being too common? Yes, it is, but I don't think that's going to change soon - just like with marijuana, so many people consume it daily that to completely purge it from the system would do multiple things; cause an uproar, cause a large chunk of economic circulation to disappear, and just not be possible (e.g., with so many narcotics illegal yet readily available that surely says something).

Effects of... Minors getting raped whilst intoxicated is partially their fault (and I'm quite against blaming the victim) but their naïveté is enough to get themselves into that situation and it also shows up the parents/carers of. Minors having sex, is just a big issue - drunk or not - so that's a whole other discussion. But all the criminal stuff? That's just where society is going, same as when corporal punishment was around when my father was young - the cane was supposed to put pupils off, but they carried the marks with pride to show off how "badass" they were, society seems to find that you have to one-up the next guy, and at the moment crime is the only one-up left.
    And suicide? That's jut stupidity, a 12 year old gets drunk and kills themself because their friend hugged their boyfriend or whatever? That's just stupidity - I'm not saying suicide is, I admit I've been very severely suicidal in the past and I recognise it's quite a big problem - but that reason for and in those circumstance? That's just stupid.