1. Welcome to the new TrackMill forums! We know things are new around here and may be confusing, so we updated the FAQ. If you have any further questions about the new site please post a thread in the Ask Trackmill section!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting the Mill Running Agian

Discussion in 'Support Area' started by 148bsaa, Apr 29, 2015.

1. 148bsaa

148bsaa LIFE: That Awkward Moment Mechanic

Hi, everyone. I'm not sure how many of you all know me, but I used to spend a lot of time on this website. In fact, it was my favorite website to visit when I was in middle school, and I used to be very active. I'm in college now, and it's sad to see just how inactive this place has gotten. I remember there used to be a time where there would never be less than 30 users online at once. Now, it's awesome to see 10 users here. It's not just the forums, either. I remember when you could submit a track to FR2 and it would only last in the "Newest Tracks" for 20 minutes. I submitted a track a few days ago, and it stayed on the "Newest Tracks" list for at least a day! It would've stayed longer if 1 user hadn't submitted 10 tracks in a row.

I know this kind of talk is depressing, but there is one good thing. These forums may be very inactive, but by no means are they dead! If we all work together, we can make the site active again! There are many things we can do, but we will also need the help of Trackmill staff, for this. I will keep a list of ideas we have to get more traffic to the site.

Here is what I have so far:
    [SPOIL]1. Analyze each game (except Cat Ninja) and find out which games are the most active. Create an average amount of plays, new levels, forum activity, etc. a game needs to remain active. I see Trackmill constantly adding new games, but at this point, I think there might be too many games here. It's easy to tell FR2 is what got the site so much buzz in the first place, so why not get rid of a few less-played games and try to get the new Free Rider HD to come to Trackmill! That would without a doubt create some new buzz!
    Submitted by - 148bsaa
    Upvotes: 1 - Downvotes: 0

2. Create a tutorial post and/or video for each game on Trackmill. Even if suggestion 1 doesn't work out / sound like a good idea, I guarantee you this one is. The main reason I am more drawn to games like FR2, Free Wires, & iZZi is because I know how to play them and how to create a level. I tried playing Cat Ninja, and couldn't even beat 1 level, much less could I make one. I also tried SSS at one point, but it took a while to get the hang of it, and even then I didn't understand how to make a good level. This is why I think it would benefit everyone to either make a thread for every game that has a tutorial (with screenshots) on how to play and beat a simple level and how to create & post a simple level OR make tutorial videos and post them to Trackmill's official YouTube channel (I recommend the latter; I'll explain later). Part 2 of this will be naming at least 3 pros for each (relatively active) game on Trackmill, then the pros can create their own threads to detail tutorials on how to create neat & in-depth maps. I can assure you that more people would be willing to try new games if they had tutorials to start off.
    Submitted by - 148bsaa
    Upvotes: 0 - Downvotes: 0

3. Have another major contest. Freedo told me it's been a while since we've last had a big, fun contest. Honestly, I think that alone (with the help of a big announcement about it) would get the forums jumping again. Either way, it couldn't be a bad idea.
    Submitted by - 148bsaa

4. Keep up with official TM social media. I have noticed that official TM social media goes relatively untouched, except when it's adding a new game. We should fix this! Every social media account for TM should be updated several times a day (except YouTube). Each staff member should be given a different TM social media account to post to every day, that way each account is handled by 1 person and therefore is more manageable. Each staff member should be able to log in to each social media account, though. This would be just in case they would like to post a quick message on an account that they don't run daily. I think a constant social media presence would go a long way to getting more users on Trackmill.
    Submitted by - 148bsaa
    Upvotes: 2 - Downvotes: 0

5. Create a buzz on social media. Going back to the social media again, get the word out! Use TONS of hashtags to catch the attention of a lot of people. Really. It works! Along with using a hashtag in every post, you should also try giving out rewards or prizes to TM's followers if a tweet gets 100 retweets, or a Facebook post gets 100 likes or something along those lines.
    Submitted by - 148bsaa

6. Post a video to YouTube at least once per week. YouTube is an awesome way for Trackmill to grow! I feel like compilation or highlight videos of the best tracks from each game on Trackmill would be awesome! The video wouldn't have to be more than 5 minutes long. Just showcase the best few tracks submitted that week. Even if you didn't want to spoil the fun and wanted to highlight the best moments of each map, that would work too! Plus, YouTube has tons of free-to-use music that could go behind each video. To find the tracks, you could of course go to the most popular tracks, but you could also take fan suggestions. A cool idea might be to set up a forum here and ask users to submit a track to be featured in the up-coming week's video. Tutorial videos on how to create & play games (that thing I suggested earlier) could work here, as well!
    Submitted by - 148bsaa

7. Change the layout of the forums. Some potential users have complained that the layout is either confusing, or boring, or both, so a format change to a more user-friendly style and/or layout would go a long way.
    Submitted by - kingaling

8. Add more games. Getting more and more amazingly fun games added for users to play is always a great idea.
    Submitted by - kingaling
    [/SPOIL]

Those are my ideas to get more traffic to Trackmill. I also have a decent following on my YouTube channel, so maybe I can drive some people here myself. Tell me what you think of my ideas, and post your own!. I really want to help Trackmill grow again. I will put any idea we like into the list above. If, later, we dismiss one of the listed ideas (by majority comments), it will be placed into scrapped ideas category which will go below this statement.

Dismissed Ideas:
    [SPOIL]Updating FR2's code. This is impossible due to the new owners of Free Rider not allowing it.[/SPOIL]

Thank you for reading, and I hope we can get Trackmill running again!

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Skeeny likes this.
  2. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    I have been planning to do some YouTube related stuff on my channel. However, my channel got suspended due to Google's retardation.

3. 148bsaa

It says you violated its terms of service. Anyway, regarding this thread, do have any upvotes or downvotes? Do you have any suggestions yourself?

4. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    Upvotes for 4 5 and 6.

And apparently gaming is against terms of service. Can't think of any other rules I violated

5. c3b4me

c3b4me Remember when this place was once was something? Piston

up vote 3,1 and 4.
    also i think we should try to make the options of going on the forums more predominate in the games because most people are completely bi-passing the forums to go straight to the games.

6. Download

Download TrackMill Developer TrackMill Developer Developer

I like these recommendations and I really do agree we need to get back on top of the social media stuff.

Skeeny likes this.
  7. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    Wholeheartedly agree.

8. 148bsaa

I messaged goose a while ago about these ideas and he said he would love to get some of these into action soon. Until then, does anyone else have more ideas about how to get Trackmill active again?

9. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    I would recommend suggesting track ill games to fairly popular youtubers. Not overly poplar like Pewdiepie though

10. c3b4me

i suggest nerd cubed.

11. c3b4me

sorry dialup f-up and double posted.

12. kingaling

kingaling Custom User Title Piston

These are some big ones that I've had in mind. One would be changing the forum layout. I like it but I've shown it to a couple of friends and they said they don't like how it looks. I can see that though. It is very boring and not really somewhere I'd want to stay. Another would be updating the code of fr2. This one is very big but no one plays the old fr2 anymore. It's just dead. Maybe adding checkpoints and a better editor and hotkeys would help. Also maybe getting more games. This site would be way more popular if we added more games. I'm not just talking about one at a time every year. I mean finding a ton of games that attract people and just going full steam ahead. Maybe someday this place could turn out like the next miniclip or crazymonkey games.

Anyway, that's what I had to share.

13. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    these ideas are decent.

14. Freedo

Freedo Administrator Administrator Staff Member Admin

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    This is something we've been going on about for some time now. Threads about this date back to 2013, and it's been something that's a possibility for quite awhile now. Goose has been partial to the design of xenforo as the possible future forum site, but as you can see we're still on vBulliten so we're sorta twiddling our thumbs over here.
    http://trackmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23333
    http://trackmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23317&page=2 (a few posts down)
    http://trackmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23727&page=2 (also a few posts down)

You can thank Kano Games for that one. Ever since they purchased the rights to free rider we are restricted from changing free rider's code on TrackMill (by way of cease and desist, if I remember correctly).

And this always the idea. TM has a pretty efficient way of hooking games into TM's database on the new skin that you see on all the games besides FR2. The problem is, we haven't been churning out many new games. It takes time to make our own games, and often communication with devs is just as slow. It's been a topic of discussion for some time now but it is always difficult to devote the little free time that much of the staff has to working on the site, when life gets in the way. However we're considering our future options in terms of games and creations that TM can host.

15. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    what about proboards?

16. 148bsaa

Updated the first post with your ideas, kingaling. I like them, and I didn't know it was that bad for FR2, Freedo. Is it possible to even get a license to put the new Free Rider here, or is Free Rider banned from ever being changed on this site?

17. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    Upvote kingaling ideas

18. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    good news.

I have regained access to my YouTube account.

will need to sort out stuff first before the level request stuff and similar happens

19. Muzik Bike :D

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    Would setting up a trackmill subreddit be a good idea?

20. Zags

Zags (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Administrator Staff Member Admin

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    I don't think so. I feel like it would take away from Trackmills activity more than it promotes.