1. Welcome to the new TrackMill forums! We know things are new around here and may be confusing, so we updated the FAQ. If you have any further questions about the new site please post a thread in the Ask Trackmill section!
    Dismiss Notice

Does god exist/evolution

Discussion in 'Serious Business' started by D R Rider, May 15, 2012.

?

Does god exist?

1. Yes, I believe there is a god(s).

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No, I don't believe there is such a thing.

42 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I'm not sure.

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. kingaling

kingaling Custom User Title Piston

you just have to watch the movie to see bc it all fits with other things that happen so i can't really explain 'em

2. newgon123

newgon123 TrackMill Staff Moderator Staff Member Mod

Note, this is my opinion, feel free to try and bust it

I think that most religions were created to explain the unexplained. Back a long time ago, when much of the world and just things in general were unknown, and they didn't have the technology/science to find out about the unknown. So they created religions to explain such things. Today, as technology has vastly increased, many of the old unknown things are being discovered, but yet people still cling to their religions.

Also, think about this.
    Are people going to strive for more in their life, and all around be more happy when they know they go to a place like "heaven", or get reborn when they die, or when they're unsure and confused what happens when they die?

just my opinions ;)

3. kingaling

i didn't understand the red part. are chu a Christian or not?

4. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn Que Sera, Sera Engineer

TL;DR for below: I also feel that it gives people a sense of unity.

A while ago, I went to the local annual rodeo for the second time in years. I don't even remember the first time I went because I was so young, so really this was a new experience for me which is slightly embarrassing, considering where I live and the usual experiences people have. But nonetheless I loved every minute of it.
    In the beginning, all the flags were presented on horseback. Cowboys and cowgirls trotted around the pit presenting state flags. People from all around the country came to see this, and some from Texas and Missouri and all those southern states came to compete.
    Then all the riders left except for two, who presented the American and Canadian flag. I got patriotic goosebumps for both of the national anthems, but then afterwards the presenter started a prayer.
    Everyone bowed their heads in silence and it was a crazy thing for me since I've never seen this before. My friend to the right of me bowed her head and closed her eyes, and the people to the left did the same. The entire pit was doing a mass prayer, and for me, even though my beliefs are on the fence, I really felt good about it. People from all over the country, even some from Canada, coming together in common interests of the sport, and their love of God. Words can't do the feeling justice. It was beautiful, and I think many people admit themselves to a particular religion to also feel like a part of something which explains partly why religion is still around, although much evidence trumps it. Even for me, I know that practically and logically every bit of evidence goes against any type of spiritual religious being, but another part of me wants to be a part of it because of how involved people are, and how many people come together because of it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. newgon123

No I'm not a Christian
    In theory, religious people live happier lives because they "know" that if they die they'll go (in this case, Christians) to "heaven", also, well said TrapperJohn.

6. kingaling

let me ask you a question. if you die tomorrow where are you gonna go?

7. newgon123

dunno. How is that relevant tho?

8. kingaling

would you rather die wondering if you just won't exist or burn in ****, or die and know that you're going to heaven?

9. newgon123

With all the holes, silliness, unrealistic ideals, and with some your religion getting dis-proven by science, I couldn't stand dealing with your religion.
    Also, with all the religions out there (and there are a lot, trust me), how do you know yours is the right one? How do you know yours is the truth, and that the others ones aren't? Especially because many religions are similar, and many conflict with each other.

10. kingaling

forget i'm not gonna waste my time arguing. i believe God is real you don't. you won't change my mind and i won't change yours so why are we even having this argument?

11. TTM

TTM Retired Staff Retired Staff

I'm not really about religion, mostly because I don't care about it, but if I were to follow a religion it'd be atheism (I don't believe in god(s), or any supernatural being so this basically fits me). It just seems more realistic, and the least of worries. It kinda sucks because basically my whole family and tribe is Christian, so they expect me to follow it and when we do cultural stuff there is always praying, talks about God and stuff so my mom basically forces me to do it lol.

12. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    I'm Muslim. Nuff said

13. kingaling

ahhh! you're muslim?! i expected you to be white or something! i'm not racist btw

14. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    I'm somewhere in between

15. Forlorn333

Forlorn333 d3cornlorn999 TrackMill Pro TrackMill Pro

Agreed. The community appears to be great, kind, and supporting, at least from the outside. It is nice coming together with other people and celebrating, part of what I think attracts people to church is that feel-good, part of something feeling. It's unfortunate the actual belief systems are so contradictory and degrading though, because when specific ideas and the topic of morality comes up it tends to get nasty. I know people and have myself been called evil or other degrading things because I believe differently or do not fit the ideal church mold.

I actually had an experience a few years back while being shocked by a fence meant to contain horses, where I was pretty sure I was going to die. I felt sad for about half a second, and then accepted that what I had done and experienced in life would have to be enough and felt completely comfortable letting it go. I managed to fall back from the fence so I didn't die or suffer any serious injuries but it was an interesting experience and made me realize the whole fearful, regretful death talked about in movies or fiction is probably fake.

I think it's this way with most people, death is inevitable and out of your control. Regardless what you believe (I obviously don't) I think it's human nature to accept and recognize the inevitable, and let go any sort of fear or attachment to live. A coping mechanism, basically. Never did I think "what if I'm going to ****?!" Hahaha.

16. kingaling

haha yea i don't think anyone does. can we just stop this argument? no one will change anyone's mind, obviously. i believe what i believe and you believe what you believe that's fine i won't try to change your mind (bc it won't happen)

17. Forlorn333

Well I'm not really arguing, just posting my thoughts, you don't have to reply if you don't want to.

18. kingaling

ok neither of us need to post our thoughts anymore

19. newgon123

Well I don't think that. What if someone's on the edge of believing or not, and some of our posts convince them one way or another? I wish more parents would let their kids decide their religious preferences (when they're older of course) rather than, like TTM said, force them into doing stuff they dont want.

20. Forlorn333

You can't force someone not to take part in a discussion. If it bothers you don't enter the thread dude? xD