1. Welcome to the new TrackMill forums! We know things are new around here and may be confusing, so we updated the FAQ. If you have any further questions about the new site please post a thread in the Ask Trackmill section!
    Dismiss Notice

Are Video Games a Waste of Time?

Discussion in 'Serious Business' started by Toxic Fuel, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    "the point of life is to eat, **** and die!!!! do you even trigonometry m2947573857398374739398474938474?!???!?????????!!?fhhdhehd"

usermame 62 and Ailegy like this.
  2. The Pivoter

The Pivoter TheOfficialPivotex Mechanic

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    You could be trying to get a girlfriend!
    And if you want to really find out the point of life, go read some books; observe human life other than your own; ask old people about their life; etc. Your investigation will turn out to be useful instead of the schitt you see on clickbait websites.
    Trigonometry is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

3. usermame 62

usermame 62 My Body is Ready! Assembly Line Worker

The purpose of life is to accomplish your goals; that could be having sex - or even avoiding it, travelling the world, transforming yourself into one of Jabba the Hutt's offspring, just whatever you want to do with your life! Being happy whilst doing what you want to do, I'd say, is the purpose of human life. (I'm not going to bother talking about what the purpose of life is in religion as I don't believe in religion.)

If our purpose is to JUST reproduce, then why do we have brains? Why do we feel emotions? Why do some people choose not to do it?

4. The Pivoter

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    Your way of thinking is very selfish. You neglect the impact your actions have on the people around you. If you are an orchestral musician who plays games instead of practising your fundamentals, you undermine the other members of your orchestra with your schitty, untrained sound. This is evident when observing musicians in school ensembles.

Why do we have brains? To control our body. Are you brainless enough to not think about why the other alternative is not a reality?

Why do we feel emotions? For one thing, emotions make reproduction feel better, and it makes us feel more attracted to a certain member of the opposite sex.

Why do some people choose not to do it? They might be prepubescent children who aren't ready for reproduction. If they are not prepubescent children, then they have a self-destructive lifestyle that makes them less attractive to the opposite sex and less likely to reproduce and have a family.

5. Ailegy

Ailegy Hugs :3 Mechanic

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    A post made entirely of assumptions, but I guess since you know barely anything about who I am you do end up having to make stuff up to talk down to me. A better idea would be to not do it at all.

As for your latter post, you're talking as if playing games destroys all hopes of getting things done. Not how it works. Also a life dedicated to doing things for other people is not a life well lived.

usermame 62 likes this.
  6. usermame 62

Selfish? Somehow saying in very rudimentary terms that the purpose of life is do what makes you happy is a selfish way of thinking.

But if our purpose is to just reproduce, then why aren't we just genitals with legs and why isn't it easier to get sex if that's our only purpose? What about asexual people who don't want to have sex, what is their purpose? What about people who are infertile, they somehow have no purpose now? If you couldn't reproduce, you would be basically telling yourself that you have no reason to be around. Reproduction is, at most, a biological purpose - to keep passing on our genes to generations and generations. But that just answers why we have sex organs, like having sex (me included) and we are still around today, it doesn't answer why we humans are necessarily around. My way of thinking may be selfish but your way of thinking is extremely antiquated.

Everyone has their own destiny.

7. The Pivoter

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    I know your name because you're friends with me on Facebook (although it's my music account), and I know you're from Invercargill (Source: Facebook), which is one of the southernmost cities in the world (and cold weather make people less happy! Just look at the suicide rate of Sweden!). But you know my name as well, so we're even.

And judging from the way you speak, you talk as if you are the most important person in the world (your world, of course) and your way of talking down to others (Muzik Bike is an example of someone you talk down to a lot) implies that anyone else that you believe to be weaker than yourself (i.e. younger) is inferior. This narcissism would cause you trouble with your interpersonal relationships.

Observation, my friend.
    I know that from experience. Admittedly, I might be a narcissist myself, and it surfaces more in competitive situations, such as playing first person shooter video games.
    Do you ever consider that doing what makes yourself happy may come at the expense of the people around you?

If you like doing drugs because it makes you happy, then if you become unable to do certain jobs because the drug has weakened your mental and physical health, this becomes a burden on your family and the doctors and nurses who try to keep you alive, if not fit to make your own income. Meanwhile, your family (this may or may not include you) and those doctors and nurses could be having a family outing instead of overworking themselves to keep alive a person who is killing themselves with illegal substances.

Oh, and drugs is a strong metaphor for video games. It works very well when trying to prevent your children from becoming a complete social recluse. Trust me.
    They do. You are correct.

8. usermame 62

First of all, drug addiction is the worst example you could have given as those who have drug issues are not happy and need help like you've correctly mentioned. I'm just talking about acts that aren't harmful, so maybe aiming for a world record. (Mentioning fat people was a mistake of mine; I do not endorse obesity in any way.)

Second of all, there are people who do not have the capacity to reproduce and have not used IVF.

Do you not realise that saying our one and only purpose is to **** gives people who don't want kids (me included) and those who can't have kids no ****ing purpose? There are people who are just not interested in having sex, so just accept it.

I've had enough idiocy for today, so just shut up - the purpose of life can't be defined objectively so don't bother trying.

9. The Pivoter

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    Shot m8

10. Muzik Bike :D

Muzik Bike :D Coloraze World Champion(nobody cares) Engineer

Favorite Game:
    Coloraze
    It's not because I'm younger, it's obviously because I'm kind of stupid

11. usermame 62

Funny you're saying that considering you're an idiot.

12. Ailegy

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    It's too bad my facebook which is never updated doesnt tell you what kind of person I am, what I do with my life. Knowing my name and where I live shows nothing. Also people don't just go jump off buildings because they're cold. We adapt. My job involves me standing in a refrigerator for 9 hours so I can tell you now, the weather of my city doesn't have any effect on me.

I'm kind and generous to most people, as long they're not an idiot or talk like one. I'm sure that should clear up why I talk down to Muzik and yourself. Your first post when you came back to Trackmill had you talking like you wanted to be 9 kinds of cool at once, but sadly you just looked like a sheep with no personality of your own. But anyway it doesn't matter because i'm not going to prove i'm nice to other people. You can think what you like.

And I'm for sure no narcissist, you can't judge a person correctly by the 10 messages you've read of theirs on a forum online. I'm sure you don't act the way you do in real life online, and if you do then, wow, I feel sorry for your friends.

And do I consider that doing what makes myself happy may come at the expense of people around me? What is your routine? School, trombone practice, sleep and repeat? I said before I don't put gaming before my work or social life. I don't have some kind of gaming addiction that ruins my relationships and whatnot. Gaming isn't a drug. It's not hard to quit. It's not hard to resist playing in order to do something else. Nobody is affected by it. And if they were then screw them, i'm my own person. I like being happy. I like making others happy but I do need time for myself to have fun.

13. rotfl

rotfl Your own guardian angel... With a fully loaded 44. Piston

Alright there Darwin you can settle down.

Edit because I was only on page one and didn't see all this mess

Tl;dr :
    If you don't practise music your bad at it
    Brains still do what you thought they did
    The only reasons you feel emotion is to have sex
    A self destructive lifestyle makes you not want kids
    Pivoter stalks trippy and cold makes you kill yourself
    Trippy is a narcissistic *******
    Pivoter says video games make him narcissistic
    Usermame gets happy but makes other people sad
    Drugs are still bad
    Video games are as bad as drugs

Oh boy this one's a mouthful

One paragraph per topic:

Okay not everybody is going to put video games over everything, like in this case, your orchestra

Fun fact: that is what out brains let us do

Emotions aren't simply for sexual attraction. Are you trying to say that you can't feel any emotion unless a sexual partener is on the line?

Ok not everyone wants babies

After a quick search, Sweden only has the 58th highest suicide rate per 100000 individuals. Countries with lower living standards seem to be the ones that are higher up

I for one enjoy trippy's comments. Everyone here seems to have a role, and trippy's is "point out dumb things". And Muzik's is "say dumb things"

Really any situation or role can alter your attitude, not just video games

[Skip]

Yes, bad drugs are bad

Video games can take you through fun adventures, or try to show off some skill, and all around have a good time. However your thinking as if were all extreme hardcore gamers. Oh, and unlike drugs, video games won't weaken your physical and mental health. The comparison is almost like your every day Muslim to a member of ISIS. One is a lot more casual, while the other is an extremist. And the same is for drug users. If you smoke a bit if weed at a party as opposed to a crackhead, you aren't sending you family into debt and causing doctors to work overtime.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  14. The Pivoter

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    >When you don't know how to argue so you call people names.
    Pretty sure what you say on Facebook hasn't matched the kind and generous persona you say you have last time I checked.
    >When you receive this much **** for stating an opinion.

Let me say some things.

If you don't practise music your bad at it (That's a given.)
    Brains still do what you thought they did (The way you said this is condescending.)
    The only reasons you feel emotion is to have sex (It's not the only reason, albeit a fundamental one.)
    A self destructive lifestyle makes you not want kids (It's a self destructive line of thought.)
    Pivoter stalks trippy and cold makes you kill yourself (With the advent of Facebook, everyone stalks each other. Plus, everyone clearly states their name and city on their wall. So much for privacy.)
    Trippy is a narcissistic ******* (U2)
    Pivoter says video games make him narcissistic (It's a side effect of video games.)
    Usermame gets happy but makes other people sad (This is a very vague statement. If this is the way you think, I feel sorry for you.)
    Drugs are still bad
    Video games are as bad as drugs (yes)

Okay not everybody is going to put video games over everything, like in this case, your orchestra

The ones who don't put games as a priority don't play them.

Fun fact: that is what out brains let us do

That was pointless reiteration.

Emotions aren't simply for sexual attraction. Are you trying to say that you can't feel any emotion unless a sexual partener is on the line?

No, I'm saying emotions are fundamentally for sexual attraction. You can feel emotion in many different situations, but it works for sexual attraction.

Ok not everyone wants babies

Unfortunately

After a quick search, Sweden only has the 58th highest suicide rate per 100000 individuals. Countries with lower living standards seem to be the ones that are higher up

Citation needed.

I for one enjoy trippy's comments. Everyone here seems to have a role, and trippy's is "point out dumb things". And Muzik's is "say dumb things"

You are who you seek.
    Therefore you are a narcissistic *******
    And I'm pretty sure people like you and trippy balls coerce Muzik into believing he's stupid so that you can reaffirm your superiority complex over him.

Really any situation or role can alter your attitude, not just video games

You didn't state whether they affect it positively or negatively.
    Video games alter your attitude negatively.

Yes, bad drugs are bad

That's why they're illegal.

Video games can take you through fun adventures, or try to show off some skill, and all around have a good time. However your thinking as if were all extreme hardcore gamers. Oh, and unlike drugs, video games won't weaken your physical and mental health. The comparison is almost like your every day Muslim to a member of ISIS. One is a lot more casual, while the other is an extremist. And the same is for drug users. If you smoke a bit if weed at a party as opposed to a crackhead, you aren't sending you family into debt and causing doctors to work overtime.

Not only that, but getting the criminal record for smoking weed can leave a negative impact on you and the people around you. It's the law's way of keeping you from dragging others down.
    And even then, the self destructive nature of drug usage reflects a self destructive personality who sees no qualms in getting wasted, literally. And you can't compare habitual gamers with Muslims, as Islam is a commitment, and gaming is merely an addictive habit.

Engaging in self-destructive behaviour in moderation does not change the fact that it is self-destructive.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  15. Ailegy

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    I don't have to act nice to be nice. I don't put up any kind of kind and generous persona, how often have you seen me act nice to anyone even on these forums? It's the things I do that are nice. And stop bringing up my very inactive facebook as if it means you know everything about me.

Also, your opinion stated that all gamers, infrequent or not, are addicts and games are harmful drugs (Quite a statement considering, as Muzik said, that this is a gaming forum and most of us play games). Which they can be, I admit, but gaming has a noteworthy affect on so few people that your opinion just sounds stupid.

16. The Pivoter

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    If you are nice, you will naturally act nice.
    Btw, what do you do that is nice?
    If not addicts, then gaming is habitual for them, which is still similar to addiction.

It brings out a sense of incompetency in many people I know who play games.

17. Ailegy

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja
    Why should I say what I do that's nice? That's information that means nothing. You either believe me or you don't. Stating I buy homeless people food, attempt to comfort anyone who looks sad, throw my money at fundraising children as if I was their mother, etc etc doesn't change anything. I could be lying, I could be telling the truth, the choice is yours. But I also like to be mean, which is what you see. It all depends on the situation. And not all people who play games have a habit of doing it, and yeah, everything else you say is dumb too. I'm not even going to put the effort in.

18. The Pivoter

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    The evidence of your niceness means everything about your niceness. The fact that you couldn't provide any evidence means your niceness is non-existent, and this doesn't apply to external acts you do irrelevant of what's inside. Therefore you are mean, as you clearly stated by yourself. Also, if you really think the things I say are dumb, you wouldn't put the effort in to try to argue against a stupid head. Clearly, you responded with a sort-of well written argument, which means you actually respect my opinion despite your meanness.

The things you say are stupid anyways, so I don't feel like to mass debate anymore. Let's put this thread back into its grave, okay?

19. Ailegy

Favorite Game:
    Cat Ninja

I can't provide evidence of casual nice acts i perform, as I said, it's up to you whether you believe me or not. I could send screenshots of my chats to people who needed comforting and whatnot but that's private and also can be faked. Trying to prove I'm nice is a huge waste of effort. So i don't. And in the end the people I don't know, such as yourself, think I'm mean, and the people I do know, such as people who are more than just an avatar and text, think I'm nice. I like to think the people I know, and who know me, are probably right.

20. The Pivoter

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    I meant on TM.

Can a mod please close this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.