1. Welcome to the new TrackMill forums! We know things are new around here and may be confusing, so we updated the FAQ. If you have any further questions about the new site please post a thread in the Ask Trackmill section!
    Dismiss Notice

Agree or disagree? Gun Control

Discussion in 'Serious Business' started by newgon123, May 14, 2012.

1. trexmasterrace

trexmasterrace Assembly Line Worker

in serious business thread stating a current event without a link smh

2. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn Que Sera, Sera Engineer

Based on your above post you are clearly for regulation of firearms. But, consider the sentence I've quoted in a much different light. Without guns, people would be in danger much more than they are now. I don't get why many people don't understand this, but just because guns become illegal doesn't mean that criminals will just stop using guns. They're criminals for a reason. Cocain, Meth, Heroin, all illegal. Does that mean they're off the streets? By no means entirely.
    People also don't seem to understand that just because a few people (and I do mean few people. The rate of US Gun Violence has gone down dramatically over the past decade) go batsh_t crazy doesn't mean everyone else will. Not everyone uses guns for offences either, they're widely used as a defense. I've heard of a woman who shot and killed a burgler/potential rapist in her home in protection of her and her couple month old child. Think of what could have happened if she didn't have a gun, or if she wasn't allowed to learn how to shoot one.
    The tragedies in Aurora and Newtown and Sandy Hook seemed to have magnified the issue of gun violence. Without the issues of major binge shootings, would you really care?

If you want to do a part on saving he lives of innocents, why don't you just ban hammers as a start.

3. trexmasterrace

well hey it might not be such a bad idea to have more strict laws i mean hear me out im not going to do that traditional b.s. argument oh im so scurred of guns but lets look at the stats:
    uk has much tighter gun regulations, yes, and their firearm homicide per 100,000 rate is 0.04. usa has a lot less strict regulations and their firearm homicide per 100,000 rate is 3.60. (this isnt counting hunting accidents btw)

sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

on a side note id like to add that im not for strict gun regulations, im just tryin to defend both sides a bit if you see what im sayin dog

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. newgon123

newgon123 TrackMill Staff Moderator Staff Member Mod

Just letting you known Wikipedia isn't the best source ever.

5. trexmasterrace

wikipedia generally tends to actually be pretty reliable, it lists all the sources at the bottom and if someone makes an edit mods generally revert it pretty quick.

if you argue with those stats however i would just go to the cia world factbook and see if i could find anything there

6. The Pivoter

The Pivoter TheOfficialPivotex Mechanic

Favorite Game:
    Free Rider 2
    I don't get that information from the Internet, and use proper punctuation here, this is a Serious Business thread.

7. trexmasterrace

stfu, as long as im pointing out valid points idgaf about your punctuation. if you didnt get it from the internet than you either heard it from a. TV b. radio c. word of mouth. since most local tv stations have a web page with current events on it they covered, then it exists on the internet. if the radio was covering it, then why the **** are you still listening to that obsolete garbage? if you heard it from c. word of mouth then it was probably just a rumor and completely false, or like a hypothetical situation if everyone was armed.

besides [attempted]school shootings generally dont go unnoticed without a single word from the internet so im tempted to believe you are spewing BS sorry

everyone in this thread = pwned by almighty trex master race

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  8. oriole01

oriole01 Gunter! Mechanic

I know that gun control won't get rid of all gun violence, but it will greatly decrease. Many of the perpetrators of mass shootings didn't actually buy the guns, they had access to them from other people in their home. Also, I know that they're used for defense, and sometimes it saves lives, but in the home with the gun in it, it's more likely for someone living in the house to get killed then an intruder. Plus, if you have a security system or live in a good neighborhood, home intruders shouldn't be a problem for you. I mean, look at other countries such as the UK. Their law is pretty much NO guns at all except for police, miiltary, and security guards. And look at them! Their crime rate is low and their economy is booming! Only a few dozen people get killed with guns there a year compared to over 30,000 here. It shouldn't have to be this hard, America.

9. trexmasterrace

look at the links i provided for more info on the stats. also if you factor in that if someone breaks into your house at 2 in the morning and you wake up sleep drunken you're going to have a real hard time fending an intruder off. unfortunately not everyone lives in a good neighborhood, and so they purchase weapons to defend themselves, dogs, etc.

also handguns cause more deaths than big assault rifles for anyone wondering, just want to get that out there. IMO people should still be able to buy guns (to a certain extent no like RPGs or something lol) but mentally ill, people with close relatives who are mentally ill, shouldnt be able to purchase them just IMO

10. newgon123

newgon123 TrackMill Staff Moderator Staff Member Mod

I think they should increase background checks.

11. trexmasterrace

well not just for the person but for those they live with or are in immediate contact with too i think

12. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn Que Sera, Sera Engineer

Explain.

My ipod won't let me highlight for easier quoting, so I apologize if I get confusing in the following:

About the perp's involvement with family members with guns: this is why we need to preform stricter background checks. Like Trex said, do background checks for all extended/immediate family members. Don't just automatically take away guns because some families have crazy cousins.

Also, I don't know if you live in similar surroundings as I, but think of recreation. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, Iowa, N/S Dakota, Utah, ect. All have a lot of residents who hunt, target practice, and all around have fun with guns responsibly. Also, I can guarantee you that a community with at least 1 gun per household is safer than a community with none.
    You also seemed to ignore the hammer stats.
    One last thing and I'm sure you've heard this a billion times but it still rings true IMO. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If you want to lower deaths, ban cars. ****, ban fertilizer. Remember the guy who drove in a building with a bunch of that stuff in the back? Plus, that big plant in Texas a while ago. Wasn't a homicide case, but still extremely dangerous.

13. Cornelias

Cornelias gone. sorry. Mechanic

If you shoot someone in FRONT of a cop, you could probably go to jail...

14. trexmasterrace

why the **** would you shoot someone in front of a cop

15. Cornelias

No ,that not im talking about, if you shoot someone in front of a police man,,,

16. Cornelias

17. trexmasterrace

shut up you daft idiot

18. Cornelias

19. Cornelias

20. ray95

ray95 Piston

If you shoot some one in front of a cop and it's obviously in self defense you won't go to jail.